Monday, July 13, 2015

The Wolfpack

documentary

Seven siblings were locked in a NYC apartment for the first 15 years of their lives by a drunken moron father and beaten-down mother. During the course of this film we watch these boys make tentative steps to liberate themselves, although there is no doubt they will be profoundly damaged by their childhoods.

I saw this as a sordid freakshow but the freaks weren't interesting, only pathetic. They watched shitty movies (Tarantino, Batman), wrote down every word of the scripts and re-enacted them in their cramped apartment.

These kids gave me the creeps...similar to the 'uncanny valley' phenomenon generated by too-perfect robots or cloned humans. I wanted to get away from them and their stinking apartment. I wanted to take a shower afterward and cleanse myself from my memory.

As an added bonus this was among the worst shot films in memory. Half was home footage the kids shot; the other half was equally boneheaded footage by the filmmaker. This film was an unpleasant ordeal for me. I can't forget it fast enough.

1

No comments:

Post a Comment