Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

amerindie

Strained comedy/melodrama which tries to milk maximum pathos from...guess what?

For a while I was enjoying this story of a nebbishy HS kid forced by his mom to befriend the titular dying girl. There were many funny lines and setups, especially the films these two guys made parodying popular movies. But as the story evolved the cracks in the premise became more visible. When I stopped laughing the film lost all its charm.

The protagonist really was an asshole - whiny, self-absorbed, insensitive - and by the 3/4 mark I started to detest him. I also couldn't ignore the contrivance in the story (e.g. dying girl's mom first played for uncomfortable laughs, then for pathos) nor could I stand the mawkish wallowing in the dg's demise.

This rose to the top of the indie pile at Sundance...which tells me the crop must have been weak that year indeed.

5

No comments:

Post a Comment