Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pacific Rim

Guillermo del Toro

Godzilla-like monsters come up from the ocean deep to destroy cities and pose a serious threat to mankind. So the humans build giant robots to fight them. If this was done with the right tone...snide perhaps or at least tongue-in-cheek...it could've been a monster. But it wasn't.

The film consists of many (too many) loud, difficult-to-follow fights between the antagonists. Not much time spent developing characters we can care about. After a while it began to seem repetitive and, finally, uninteresting. I assumed from minute one that the humans would triumph. I mean they might get their hair mussed but really...who went into this film to root for the monsters?

I would have enjoyed this when I was ten but honestly I didn't see the level of suspense I remember in the 1953 version of War of the Worlds. Pretty disappointing.

3

No comments:

Post a Comment