Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Double Suicide

Japan   M. Shinoda

Adaption of a 1720 kabuki drama, a variation on a Romeo and Juliet scenario where star-crossed lovers meet their inevitable demise. Beautifully staged. Since this was originally played as a puppet show Shinoda had 'puppeteers' clad in black who were always present and moved props, scenery, etc. This created a sense of the hand of fate, unseen forces, determining the direction and outcome of the characters' lives.

Cinematography was luscious black and white. All was not well though. Perhaps because this was a well-known story it was played with (to my eyes) extreme over-acting which I found distancing, annoying and kept me from caring for the characters.

Still I had to admire the skill on display here...I just wish they had toned it down a bit.

5

No comments:

Post a Comment