Friday, April 12, 2013

Killing Them Softly

Brad Pitt, Ray Liotta   w/d Andrew Dominik

This was a big disappointment. After the outstanding Jesse James I had high hopes for this director but here he has presented us with an unpleasant tour through Boston's underclass with scene after scene of disgusting, pointless crap. There were long scenes of actors in two-shots saying really sick shit to each other...I guess establishing character or tone but mostly alienating any decent folk watching.

There was one ultra-slo-motion sequence a la Dredd, or Goodbye Columbus which was fun but this does not a movie make. Every character was scummy...Pitt maybe a bit less so but he did end up killing all the others. Why would I want to watch people like this unless there was something I would learn from them? Just knowing they exist isn't enough.

Mostly though when I wasn't cringing from something disgusting being shoved in my face I was bored...a fatal flaw. You've got to give me a reason...a good one...for putting me through this...and he didn't.

3

No comments:

Post a Comment