Monday, March 18, 2013

Primer

Shane Carruth

This was my second run through this film. The first time I didn't like it at all...found it to be a sort-of-clever no budget time travel yarn with no character development and therefore no emotional involvement for me.

This time it was clearer to me why it didn't work. My initial take was accurate. Instead of character development the film is extremely dialogue-heavy but with absolutely minimal exposition. We never really find out who these guys are or what they're doing or what any of the relationships are. It relies entirely on guarded implication so the viewer is constantly engaged in trying to figure out what's happening. It's one big tease...to which viewers are required to attach their own meaning.

This has worked with some film folk....apparently hungry for a sci fi themed film with any intelligence. For me it was just irritating. If you've got a story to tell...tell it. It's OK to be cute about the timing of your reveals but it's not OK to ignore reveals entirely. Confusion does not equal profundity.

3

No comments:

Post a Comment