Monday, November 19, 2012

Rear Window

Hitchcock

The core idea here holds up very well but this time I found Stewart's character something less than endearing. In fact I thought he was a self-centered jerk. Rotten toward Grace, dismissive toward Thelma...just a cruel asshole. This greatly tempered my enthusiasm for the film.

On the other hand the voyeurism, camera positioning and the thrilling sense of mystery and danger was very effective and allowed me to watch all the way through.

I suppose we were meant to forgive Stewart because he had been incapacitated for weeks and it was hot but mostly because he was Jimmy Stewart for god sake...who could hate this guy? I could for one. Grace epitomized her name and anyone who was mean to her moved to my shitlist.

7

No comments:

Post a Comment