Monday, November 26, 2012

Me and You and Everyone We Know

Miranda July

This is my second time through this one. Her films are called precious and twee...and they are...but...there's something about her sensibility that draws me in. Her on-screen persona either attracts or repels viewers (the former for me). It's also obvious to me that she isn't this person...she has written, directed and starred in two feature films...which requires focus and fierce dedication.

The world she creates is one I'd like to be living in...where confused but well-meaning people muddle through the shoals of sexual desire and connection as best they can...with malice toward none.

There's a self-conscious oddness to her work (films and short stories) that should be off-putting but isn't. I hope she continues.

7

No comments:

Post a Comment