Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Take This Waltz

Michele Williams, Seth Rogen    w/d Sarah Polley

I tried hard to like this film...after all MW has become my favorite working actress and Ms Polley garnered a bunch of praise for Away From Her...but...this one didn't work for me. MW's character wasn't written well enough to get me to sympathize with her behavior or her decisions. As a result she was reduced to actor's tics and tricks...sidelong glances, overt signals of inner stress, etc. to play the role.

And the set-up didn't work. The 'lover' was an artist, drove a rickshaw(! in Toronto!) and wasn't as appealing as her loving, doting husband. It seemed to me that she was just an immature jerk...hankering for...what? Something better? So for two hours I watched this ninny ruin her life, slowly. And since we follow her exclusively watching this was unpleasant with no reward to the viewer...just an inner sense of I-told-you-so. Whoopee.

The film was beautifully lit throughout, camera placement and editing first rate. It needed a better script.


4

No comments:

Post a Comment