Friday, December 24, 2010

Black Swan

Natalie Portman d/Darren Aronofsky

This was as unpleasant a movie experience as anything I've ever seen. We follow a pinched, emotionally constipated young woman as she vies for the lead role in Swan Lake. She has nasty hallucinations that get nastier as the film proceeds. Eventually we're forced to watch scenes better suited to David Cronenberg's The Fly.

The ugliness and negativity never lets up culminating in the final resolution. I felt I had been cruelly abused when I walked out and that I had to purge the memory of this film from my mind.

What were these people thinking? This seems to me male junior high school mentality/behavior...let's do something really gross and ugly and the adults will be so pissed...

A lot of work went into this production which meant that a lot of people thought producing it was a good idea. Technically it was state-of-the-art. Some are touting it for major awards. What does this say about the current state of our society that such a sour work gains such prominence?

Not my idea of a swell time.

3


No comments:

Post a Comment