Monday, December 30, 2013

Blancanieves

Spain    w/d  Pablo Berger

This was the fourth time in a year that I've seen this film on the big screen. It is one of a half dozen films that have had such a strong emotional/aesthetic effect on me in my lifetime.

It's such a shame that it failed to find an audience in this country. I guess after The Artist people felt...well I've seen a silent film and don't need to see another. But this film was not just a pleasant novelty. It re-interprets a folk tale, re-imagines it, adapts the Grimm Brothers story to 1920's Spain, centers around bullfighting and brings in all the jealousy, hatred, opportunism that makes such a story resonate across generations.

The cinematography, framing and camera work were superb. The two leads couldn't have been better cast or shot. Ditto the supporting characters, sets, musical accompaniment. This, to me, is one of the great works of world cinema...it should move people from all cultures, all times.

Each time I've watched it I've been deeply moved...this time I quietly wept throughout, as did the friends I invited to watch with me. I've no doubt I'll see it again...and again...whenever I can muster a group of friends I think might appreciate this wonderful work.

10

No comments:

Post a Comment