Friday, October 11, 2013

East of Eden

James Dean, Julie Harris    d/  Elia Kazan

John Steinbeck's tortured story of sibling rivalry.

This was one of Dean's three films and I have to say I found his acting nearly unbearable. I can see how his characterization would have been fresh at the time (1955) but to my (perhaps jaundiced) eye it seemed much too self-indulgent and constantly drew attention to the performance rather than the character. It just seemed fake. He failed to portray an actual person. It was like watching an over-indulged spoiled brat...demanding constant attention.

Since JD made up the bulk of the film there's not much else to judge. I did think Raymond Massey was good as the father...and Julie Harris believable as the fragile, uncertain temptress. But overall the intended towering biblical-themed masterwork failed to tower, or even rise up to the level of making me care about these people.

3

No comments:

Post a Comment