Monday, June 3, 2013

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Emma Watson, Ezra Miller

OK teen coming-of-age drama adapted from a popular novel of the same name. It was easy to see why this appealed to the young and pre-teen set...it's mostly non-challenging and deals largely with the emotional angst of adolescence.

For me the film had a unreal superficial quality. We skated by some of the problems the characters faced but their suffering was greatly tempered by the solace they found in each other. The author sought to redeem the project by tacking a serious problem on to the end but even that was lightly dealt with before morphing into a life-affirming ending.

This all seemed well-meaning so I can't condemn it but it was so lightweight I can't praise it either. Might have found it more satisfying if I were 12. But I'm not.

Players were quite good. The fault was in the writing.

4

No comments:

Post a Comment