Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Lawless

Tom Hardy, Jessica Chastain

Moonshiners vs. revenooers in 1931 Tennessee. Written by Nick Cave and directed by John Hillcoat...the team that produced The Proposition several years ago. This film had a similar tone...more violence and a broader cast...based on the memories of a writer named Matt Bondurant.

The cinematography here was exceptional. All scenes, indoor, outdoor, day and night were beautifully lit and framed. Time after time I found myself oohing and aahing over the look.

All players were also spot on...with the exception of Shia LaBeouf. I never believed his character. He seemed to be trying too hard to act instead of inhabiting him. I particularly enjoyed Guy Pearce's deliciously evil bad guy.

High quality production. I hope this team continues to release solid work like these two.

7

No comments:

Post a Comment