Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Moonrise Kingdom

w/d   Wes Anderson

Deliberately twee film with just enough grit to keep it from being unbearable.

Anderson creates a mythical fairyland set in 1965 where adults act like 50's era sitcom fools and the children act like adults...sort of. True love comes early in this universe...just barely into puberty and creates a force that sweeps away all obstacles. The story plucks at the sympathy strings of the viewer but the whole set-up is so cartoonish that I found it hard to care about any of the character's fates.

I tried to see it as an allegory or a metaphor but all my attempted analyses came up empty. I mostly watched to see where he was going with this...after it was over I tucked it into the category of strange little projects worth seeing but I'm not really clear why.

6

No comments:

Post a Comment