Thursday, December 27, 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman

Charlize Theron, Kristen Stewart

This was the third interpretation this year of the Grimm Brothers story that I've seen. I love that the same story can serve as the framework for films with such different tones, looks. This one was dark, violent, used obvious and sometimes clumsy CGI and overall was the weakest of the three. I was also troubled by the extreme amount of killing, particularly during the final battle sequence.

The problem for me was KS whose blank, bland performance failed to engage me. Not for a second did I see her as as heroic or even an interesting character. And calling her the fairest in the land was ludicrous...to me she looks like an average high school girl.

This was the most conventional of the three and the least interesting. Just grittying up the story isn't enough...you have to re-imagine it to excite the interest of a contemporary audience.

5

No comments:

Post a Comment