Thursday, October 13, 2011

Magic Trip

documentary

The once hopeful now sad story of the bus trip led by Ken Kesey across the US in 1964 that helped kick off the 60's. They did acid, smoked pot and broke rules in an attempt to break out of the confining strictures imposed on them by the times. They wanted to change the world but the world is big and didn't care what they wanted...it just kept rolling along.

Most of this was footage shot at the time. As I watched this my heart was with them but my head knows that theirs was a fool's errand...the playing of some rebellious children caught up in their solipsistic notions of freedom. They thought they were the vanguard of a profound revolution but now are seen as an oddball footnote...soon to be forgotten as the greater society grinds away individuality, differentness.

I'm glad I saw this but it left me depressed. And a bit nauseous from the swirly camera work and too-rapid cutting. Good depiction of one of Kesey's acid trips...

5

No comments:

Post a Comment