Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Over Your Cities Grass Will Grow

documentary Sophie Fiennes

Slow pans down corridors in an abandoned factory in southern France sprinkled with objets d'art made of concrete, lead, broken glass and various pieces of metallic junk. The scale was enormous...this was a very large factory. And it was one man's project.

I alternated between wondrous delight at the rebellious spirit it took to create something this in-your-face junky on this scale. Then I would wonder how this guy got money for this project. Then I would think this is very stupid...who in the world wants to see nonsense like this? Then I would be bored with the sameness of decrepit ruins.

His interview was predictably abstract...filled with meaningless verbiage...a schtick he seems to have mastered long ago.

Does this kind of work have any value? Each of us has to decide that. For me...no.

4

No comments:

Post a Comment