Monday, February 22, 2010

Shutter Island

L DiCaprio d/ Martin Scorcese

Expensive, over-produced adaptation of yet another novel by Dennis Lahane. This guy writes slick, sleazy stories set in Boston (Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone) which for some reason attract major talent. They strike me as upper low-brow material which I guess is what sells to the public.

Many scenes here looked very expensive to shoot...especially the storm scenes and the dream sequences. I shouldn't be sitting there in the theater thinking...boy, this was an expensive shoot. I found the main action uninvolving...it all sort of unfolded one click at a time and I didn't really care how it all resolved.

Everyone involved here was skilled but to my eye there was a fatal over-doneness that stopped me from getting into the story.

Scorcese is now being hugely praised for his work but I think it's because he wasn't sufficiently recognized when he was coming up and producing great, iconic films. His last several have been overdone and over-praised.

4

No comments:

Post a Comment