Friday, January 8, 2010

Avatar

James Cameron

A wonderful film. JC has created a world rich in color and imagery, lush in plant and animal life, stunning in geology that was an utter delight to fall into and visit for a while.

His indigenous people were obviously modeled on our own native americans, his corporate marines on the same forces he used in Aliens but this time we rooted against the ones with the high-tech, destructive attitudes and weaponry. Echoes of many cultural tropes were used along with familiar sine-wave structure which gave us a familiar frame in which to experience the wonder Cameron and his team have created to delight our eyes and our minds.

I found this to be a transcendent experience. I was overwhelmed by the creative mastery on display here.

It astonishes me that at this age, with all the films I've seen over the course of my life, that a film can still do this to me so effectively. Thank you James Cameron for having the vision, the courage, the fortitude and the desire to achieve such such an outstanding result.

9

No comments:

Post a Comment